About My Bike

 


Over the past couple of years, I've heard a lot about e-bikes.

From people who have gone car-free in Los Angeles to families who enjoy them on the weekend, electronic bikes have been car-replacers for many.  However, in defense of my own regular Liv Bicycle, it's been a car replacer too.

I purchased the Alight Hybrid from City Bike Shop in Traverse City on April 29th, 2020.  At the time, I lived on a hill a couple miles outside downtown Traverse City (where I live now).  I hadn't been on a bike in several years, but I was excited to see how it would change my life- and in the midst of the pandemic, change my life it did.

Yes, I wear a helmet- I'm posing in my mom's garden

After gaining confidence from riding downtown to meet a friend for coffee one day in early May, I began riding all over the city.  Even if I didn't have anywhere to go, I would just ride to admire the sights along uncharted paths.  Usually traveling with a backpack or tote bag around my chest, I quickly realized I would benefit from having a basket.  Back to City Bike, I found the perfect gold basket to match the glitter details I had painted on my Liv.

My bike was a gateway during a very isolating period in history- and the daily exercise helped to ease my mind, body, and spirit. When things started opening back up that summer- outdoor dining, downtown shops, and garden centers- I happily biked to support local businesses, pick up flowers for my home, and to dine with friends.  However, being the only child that I am, simply biking was enough to fill my cup- and it's amazing how many cool things I got to see along the way. Things I wouldn't have seen had I been in a car, on a bus, or even biking with a friend.  

Using my legs and getting a workout every day on my bike prevented me from gaining any "pandemic weight;" in fact, I had never been in better shape.  


Once I got my basket, I'd fill it with my travel coffee mug, a notebook, groceries, and sometimes even a change of clothes. Being mindful it wasn't too heavy (you've got to be careful with those lake winds), it was easy for me to transport everyday things on my commute.  Last summer, I had a job 4 miles from my old apartment- biking over 8 miles per day, I managed the 90 degree days and summer traffic with ease. 

I keep hearing about e-bikes being car replacers, but for those who still have a regular bike like me, I'm here to give you the confidence (or maybe just the inspiration!) to push yourself out of your comfort zone and see how your commute feels.  If purchasing an e-bike is a barrier to going car-free (if even for a couple days out of the week), I hope you consider a regular bicycle like I have.

I never would have expected in my wildest dreams to be an avid cyclist, but after over two years on my Liv, it's one of the best things about my life. 










Comments

Popular Posts