A Pedestrian in a Car-Centric World


Throughout my eight years living car-free, I've met a lot of resistance from peers, drivers, and even strangers on Twitter.  However, I've connected with even more people who share my love for this lifestyle.

Although my car-free journey officially began when I moved to New York City in June 2014, I discovered my love for walkable cities, public transportation, and cycling while living in San Francisco 14 years ago. 

I brought my silver Volkswagen Jetta to California with me, which usually sat on the street acquiring parking tickets while I opted to walk to the store, take MUNI to work, and use my bike on weekends.  I sold the Jetta in 2009 and eventually went completely car-free in SF- a very easy (and enjoyable!) way to live.




When I moved into my Michigan apartment last summer, an $80 per-month parking fee was automatically added to my rent, despite specifying I didn't have a car.  I quickly emailed the building management and let them know I wouldn't need a spot.  

I currently live in a vacation town called Traverse City, which is a very car-dependent place.  Although many errands require a vehicle, I've been able to live here without one for nearly three years.  I've designed my life in such a way I don't need a car- hence, living in an apartment downtown where I can easily walk to the grocery store, bike to a job, or take the bus.  In fact, the BATA station is across the street from my building! 

I've enjoyed biking to the local co-op, picking up fresh produce at the farmers market on weekends, and getting in a workout every day without even seeing it as a chore. I may be a single woman who lives by herself, but I've even seen families with cargo bikes shop with ease!


Over the past couple of years, I've shared my biking journey on MediumTwitter, Instagram, and TikTok.  I'm often asked how I buy my groceries or how I get around during winter months, so I've used these questions and documented my trips- and had fun while I did it.

I recently calculated how much money I've saved from living without a car these past eight years. Though my numbers don't factor in gas, routine, maintenance, parking, or repairs, I was shocked to see how expensive driving is for the average person in America. 

Sure, I may pay a little more in rent based on central locations or big cities, but the amount I've saved in car-related costs is astronomical:


With the state of our environment, gas prices, and vehicular deaths, I'm very grateful to be able to live the car-free lifestyle.  My health has improved, as well my happiness, my relationships, and my wallet.  I've connected with likeminded people across the world, equally passionate about doing their part to lead as an example to others.  As I watch summer traffic back up along the Grandview Parkway here in TC, I smile as I bike by and am grateful to go against the norm. 

Going car-free may not be for everyone, but I do want to share that it's possible- even in a car-centric world.

Comments

Popular Posts